[xml] mingw, dll's, and globals.o

Hi,

I have not reported on the Makefile in the win32 directory for the
latest release; unfortunately, it did not compile correctly.

I noticed that libiconv was able to build very easily within a mingw
environment and have modified libxml2 somewhat so as to build likewise
(using the configure script within a mingw environment) and the
results have been encouraging. However I have run into one seemingly
strange error which involves globals.o.

After building the dll the makefile goes on to build xmllint.exe, but
when it does it has a few unresolved symbols - symbols that are in
globals.o. What I find odd is that there is no error during the
building of the dll and all symbols must be defined in order for
libtool to build the dll (meaning, as far as I'm aware, all symbols
are correctly defined in the dll).

I was able to overcome the error by simply including globals.o on the
command line [1], meaning that xmllint.exe was built with the DLL and
runs correctly.

So, my question is, what would account for this strange behavior?

Thank you, Elizabeth

[1]  i586-mingw32msvc-gcc -I/usr/local/i586-mingw32msvc/include -Wall \
     -D_WINSOCKAPI_ -Dsnprintf=_snprintf -Dvsnprintf=_vsnprintf -o \
     .libs/xmllint.exe xmllint.o -L/usr/local/i586-mingw32msvc/lib \
     globals.o .libs/libimp-xml2-2.a -L/usr/i586-mingw32msvc/lib -lm \
     -lwsock32 -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib