[xml] Letters french people love so much...

Hello,
I am not really good at XML as you'll see, but I'm getting better
everyday...
Well, my problem is I would like to insert letters french people like so
much, such as accented a, or e, so I tried "xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant"; but
when I read the document with an XML viewer I get the following :

- <DOCUMENTATION>
- <CLASSE>
  <NOM>Nom_de_classe</NOM>
  </CLASSE>
- <CLASSE>
  <NOM>Nom_de_classe_2</NOM>
  </CLASSE>
- <CLASSE>
  <NOM>Try : ??&, ù...</NOM>
  </CLASSE>
  </DOCUMENTATION>

that is not exactly what I intended to get :
there is a line which is <NOM>Try : ??&, ù...</NOM>, and I would like it to
be "Try : a, e , & , u", where "a", and "e" are accented...

What should I do?

Thanks a lot,

        Antoine Rennuit.