[xml] A newbee, some developer questions.

Hi all,

I am new to this list, and am planning to start a (ambitious) musical
notation editor for GTK2, maybe Gnome. I want to use libxml for
reading and saving the documents, but also for storing and editing the
tree in memory.

My question is: I want to attach some userdata to xml nodes, (e.g.
cached metrical data, linebreak booleans etc) that I don't want to be
output when saving the file. But I want the data to be carried along
when moving the nodes around. The data is used to speed up rendering
after small changes to the tree.

How should I do that? Can I attach just some (pointer to) userdata
to xml nodes? Should I use attributes in another namespace, that are
filtered out on saving? Should I look into gdome2?

Or should I cache the rendering info in another C data structure
(which would be part of the rendering canvas architecture)?

Some hints by more experiences developers would greatly be
appreciated, thanks in advance for that.

Kind regards,
Wilbert Berendsen.

--
Wilbert Berendsen (http://www.xs4all.nl/~wbsoft/)