[xml] xmlNewTextChild

Hi all,
        I have most probably got the wrong end of the stick here, but I've checked
the buglist, the archive, and I am using libxml 2.4.22, and am still stuck
8*)

        As the subject suggests, I am having trouble getting libxml to make new text
nodes - I've tracked my problem down to the libxml source code. Why, in
xmlNewTextChild(4) is the type of the newly created node set to
XML_ELEMENT_NODE (tree.c, line 1598) and not XML_TEXT_NODE, as xmlNewText(1)
does (tree.c, line 1543).

        Perhaps I am using the wrong function for what I want to do, or something
else daft :) But if so, what function do I need to call in order to make a
new node of type XML_TEXT_NODE with a specified parent node?

If this is blindingly obvious, my humble apologies..
Best regards,
        Philip