RE: [xml] UTF8Toisolat1() usage

-----Original Message-----
From: Morus Walter [mailto:morus walter tanto-xipolis de]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 10:06 AM
To: xml gnome org
Subject: RE: [xml] UTF8Toisolat1() usage

Henke, Markus writes:

An (out-) buffer that's convertet
from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 will never need more than twice the space
as the corresponding in-buffer.

Though this isn't wrong, the effect is the other way round:

A conversion from UTF8 to Latin1 may only shorten the text (down to
the half of the utf8 byte length in extreme cases).
So allocating a buffer of the size of the UTF8 text will be
sufficiant.

If you convert Latin1 to UTF8 the text might need up to twice
the space.

      Morus

Yep, silly me. I've mixed up the directions...  :)