Re: [xml] Support for Python

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 04:57:39PM -0800, Dave Kuhlman wrote:

   We should consider providing support in the following areas:

     * Support for the DOM interface built on libxml (or gdome?).

   I would split it into:
     - Support for the tree interface built on libxml
     - Support for the DOM2 api built on gdome2

It would be great to see gdome2 be used for this, since a lot of hard work
has been put into its memory management and DOM methods.  I've tried
working on a memory management for a DOM wrapper to libxml (XML::LibXML)
and it is very difficult.  There is some discussion about implementing a
libxslt wrapper in gdome2, so if and when that happens you should be able
to do everything except for SAX by wrapping gdome2.

That being said, it would be neat to find a way to implement SAX with
gdome2, so that Perl and Python wrappers wouldn't even need to access
the libxml API directly.

Again, I would definitely encourage anybody writing a DOM wrapper to
libxml to use gdome2.  I've hacked code for both libxml wrappers and
gdome2 wrappers (XML::LibXML and XML::GDOME), and I have to say that
wrapping gdome2 is much much easier and the code is better since you
have a much larger developer and user pool.  You can help give back to the
gdome2 code base, making better DOM wrappers for all languages.

-TJ