Re: [xml] Support for Python

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:24:44PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
  The problem is to keep all this coherent in case of more complex operations
like cut an past or if the doc reference from those node disapear. Sounds
tricky to debug all case, I agree. Question, is it worth it ?

No, it's not really worth it [1]. I've got my hopes now on the XML::GDOME
module which of course just uses libgdome's memory management. Finding and
fixing these refcount bugs is just too damn hard.

[1] Well in some ways its worth it, like the fact that we got a very very
fast DOM that mostly works and we can pass to libxslt.

  first, yes gdome2 seems to have reached a good stability level from
my understanding of reading the list. It's still the prime candidate
if someone want a "real" DOM, i.e. with semantic bounds to the W3C REC.
  second, I prefer to let the user being in control for the raw wrapper
where one need to free the doc explicitely. The good point is that if the
document is freed one can reasonably garantee that there is no leak.
I'm far more confortable with an app which can segfault if one assumption
is not maintained (the doc was freed but someone tries to use referencing
objects) rather than silent leaks which are later a hell to track and fix.

Daniel