[xml] XPath expression portability framework dependance

Daniel Veillard wrote:
Registering the namespace in the XPath evaluation context is less
portable but easier to understand. Note that the XPath specification
was not done with the expectation it would be used standalone but
always in a framework (XSLT and XPointer originally) which were defining the mechanism for the context initialization.

Now, this seems to me a very interesting topic because I have been trying to use the current() XSLT function in a standalone XPath query and I couldn't find a way to do that using the python bindings of libxml2 +libxslt but both xalan and saxon XPath implementations support it by default even in standalone XPath queries.

Is there a way to do use the current() function in a standalone XPath using libxml2+libxslt too? Is it more standards-compliant than the solution taken by xalan&saxon? Or is it that the framework-dependance of XPath means that there is not a standard way to do that?

I am interested because this seems like potential XPath portability problems between, say, an XForms implementation written in java and one written in python....

Thanks, ciao
ste