From: Sean Middleditch [mailto:elanthis awesomeplay com]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 6:36 AM
To: 'xml gnome org'
Subject: RE: [xml] Formatting output

For what it's worth, line-breaking XML output is *evil*.  A
lot of XML editors do this, and thus completely break files
used by various apps; I use several of which, just as the XML
spec states, _all whitespace is significant_.  The output
from these programs when using XML files with ****'d up XML
(from the editors w/ line-breaks) is way weird.  Making the
apps "trim" spaces/new-lines isn't feasible, either, since
often the author of the files *wants* to insert various
white-space indenting/formatting (even for things as simple
as the fact that there are two spaces after punctuation like
. and !, and only one space after a , or ; or whatnot -
something HTML/Web fails horrible to take into
account..)