[xml] Catalog Loader extended for http://

Hi all,

I didn't file this as a bug/enhancement report as I think it's probably worth some discussion before.

I recently realized that libxml2's Catalog resolving mechanism does load (nested) Catalogs w/ "fopen()", thus
being limited to the local file system. Would it be possible to use libxml2's EntityLoader mechanism to use
also remote (http://) Catalogs? And could Daniel (or whoever is in charge of the catalog.c) include this in a
future version?

Possible use for such an extended Catalog loader can be that a web server dynamically creates such a catalog
for a Revision System repository (cvs, subversion, ... ), including version numbers, or that one can access
remote files, including XML sources, by specifying an URI or whatever that will resolve by using a dynamic
list of files on the server [etc.]. I think, you should get the point.

A sample SGML Catalog could then look like:

*** snip /etc/sgml/catalog ***
CATALOG "~/catalog"
CATALOG "http://myserver/catalog.cgi";
CATALOG "http://myserver/catalog";
*** snip /etc/sgml/catalog ***

I am also interested to know if others would like to see such an extension or if I am the only one to use
remote catalog files :-D And if I got something wrong, then let me know!

Thanks & kind regards,
johann richard
Johann Richard
IC & DSP Design Engineer
Dspfactory SA
Champs-Montants 12a
2074 Marin-Epagnier
Switzerland

Tel: +41 32 755 7462
Fax: +41 32 755 7401
e-mail: mailto:johann richard dspfactory ch

http://www.dspfactory.com