From: Marc Liyanage [mailto:liyanage access ch]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:48 PM
To: xml gnome org
Subject: [xml] Patch for boolean attributes in HTML output mode / libxml
HTML dump code

Hi folks,

I was wondering if you would accept the attached small patch for
libxml2 into the main distribution. This will probably influence if we
will use it (the patch, not libxml) ourselves in our current project.

What it does is it causes the HTML output dump code to convert boolean
HTML attributes like <option selected="selected"> to their minimized
form, like <option selected>. This is recommended practice as per the
XSLT 1.0 spec in section 16.2, "HTML Output Method":

    "The html output method should output boolean
    attributes (that is attributes with only a single
    allowed value that is equal to the name of the
    attribute) in minimized form."

We are experiencing trouble with some Mozilla browsers because the HTML
output generated by libxslt/libxml2 does not do this by default. The
patch fixes it but we want to make sure that we will not have to
maintain a separate patch for libxml, so it would be nice to hear from
you if you would integrate it.