[xml] Porting libxml2 to embedded system

I searched the archives for information on porting libxml to embedded systems and could not fond anyting useful. Is there somewhere better that I could look for a procedure for porting? I am compiling under Cygwin using ARM gcc. I tried configure for target=arm-rtems-gcc and the script gets stuck validating the compiler (I know that it works -- an exe file is generated for conftest.c). In addition, some of the "configurable" parameters (use of iconv for example) do not seem to be affected by configure options, I needed to edit xmlversion.h by hand :-( . Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
- Charlie

--
Charlie Steaderman