[xml] Handling & in attributes in SAX

Platform: Intel PIII, RedHat 7.2, gcc 2.96 (RPM version number 2.96-98),
          libxml2 2.4.2

Is it possible to have libxml2 do automatic translation of entities
with symbolic names (like eg. "&"), found in attributes, into the
characters they represent ("&" in the case of "&"), when using the
SAX API?

I'm guessing that this works for numerical character entities, and
possibly works for the cases where you have a DTD that defines the
entities.

But is it possible to do this for the case where you don't have a DTD?
I'm assuming that I would have to supply the translation table myself.

Thanx!

- Steinar