[xml] Example applications, and non-root installation

Hello,

Can someone point me to an application or two that uses libxml2.
Specifically, I'm looking for examples of what to put in the swish-e
documentation when describing libxml, and instructions for installation.

I also need a bit of basic help in building an application with libxml.
This isn't specifically related to libxml so please respond off list.

I want to provide instructions for (non-technical) people without root
access how to install libxml and link it with our application.  I admit to
know little about this subject.  I run on Linux and things just work.

We do use autoconf.

All I can think of is to run configure and make like:

CFLAGS="-I$HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/include -g -O2 -L$HOME/libxml2-2.4.5/.libs"
./configure

LD_RUN_PATH=$HOME/libxml/libxml2-2.4.5/.libs make

But I don't know if that's the recommended way and I don't know how
portable that is.

So, I'm looking for examples of application documentation that are aimed at
non-technical users which detail the steps needed to build an application
with libxml2 when it's not installed in the default location.  And
hopefully with info, tips, issues regarding different platforms.

There was also a question if we should link statically with libxml2.  Is
there any reason to do this?  (I'd think not).

And I do apologize for the basic questions.

Thanks very much,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley hank org