Re: [xml] How is ignorableWhitespace defined?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:13:32PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
mozilla and konqueror renders space between "FOO" and "BAR".

  doesn't help me at all, if you told me *WHY* they do so then
I may make some progress.

HTML 0.9 (i.e. what was current when Mosaic was written) had,
in effect,
    <!ELEMENT P EMPTY>
so that P separated paragraphs.

This means that BODY could contain PCDATA.

    <BODY>
      <H1>My Socks</H1>
      Woolen Argyle socks are very nice.
      <P>
      They are warm and they hug me.
    </BODY>

So, in the absence of a DOCTYPE, the browsers can't throw away
white space here.  Insetad, they collapse it to a single space.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org