[xml] How do I read German Umlaute - entities from an XML-File using libxml?

Hello,
The XML-Files that I generate contain German Umlaute (äöü or ä ö ¨).
I use a Function to convert them into a sequence like this:
ä ----> ä
ö ----> ö
and so on...
Now the Internet Explorer can read the XML-Files and display all the Umlaute correctly. However libXMLs "characters" call-back function does not convert the Umlaute the right way back. For instance "&#xe4" becomes "ä". Can anyone tell me, how to solve this problem? (Perhaps by a sample program that uses Umlaut-conversion?)

regards,
Matthias