Re: [xml] Release of libxml2-2.4.11

Daniel Veillard schrieb:

  A small update is available at:
     ftp://xmlsoft.org/
     http://xmlsoft.org/
    and from the Gnome mirrors

* fixed a couple of errors in the includes, fixed a few bugs, some code cleanups
* xmllint man pages improvement by Heiko Rupp
* updated VMS build instructions from John A Fotheringham
* Windows Makefiles updates from Igor

Hello,
I'm interested in libxm2 and I'm on this email exploder since quite a
long time. I have compiled successfully libxml2 (and libxslt) since
2.4.1
under MSVC.
Nevertheless I want to make some comments and proposals for improvement:

- Why do you distribute two sets of dsp/dsw files for MSVC? I think this
  confuses more than it helps.
- Wouldn't it be better to distribute libxml2 and libxslt as one package
  as it would help configuring/compiling/using it much?
- Why is the code for libxml2 and its applications (testDocbook,
  testHTML, testSAX, testURI, testXPath and xmllint) not structured in
  directories for the code for the library and applications as it is
  done (much better in my opinion) in libxslt?
- The project files for libxml2/libxslt are set up for using dlls
  mainly. I (and not only I) think that dlls are highly overrated.
  Furthermore the project files are not easy to switch between
  dynamic/static linking. In general it is not possible (in MSVC 6.0)
  to have one set of project files for dynamic and static linking.
  Also I would put the project files into the directories where the
  relevant code is like yu do it with other makefiles as well.

If you think these are meaningful improvements I'm happy to contribute.

Best regards,

Thomas