[xml] libxml on OS X?

Has anyone had any luck building libxml 2.3.x on OS X?  I was going to
port an application that uses libxml over to OS X, but have hit a wall
with this one.

[localhost:local/src/libxml2-2.3.13] joe% make
make  all-recursive
Making all in include
Making all in libxml
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
Making all in .
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o libxml2.la -rpath
/usr/local/lib -version-info 5:13:3 SAX.lo entities.lo encoding.lo
error.lo parserInternals.lo parser.lo tree.lo hash.lo list.lo xmlIO.lo
xmlmemory.lo uri.lo valid.lo xlink.lo HTMLparser.lo HTMLtree.lo
debugXML.lo xpath.lo xpointer.lo xinclude.lo nanohttp.lo nanoftp.lo
DOCBparser.lo catalog.lo -lz -lm
rm -fr .libs/libxml2.la .libs/libxml2.* .libs/libxml2.*

*** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
*** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.
gcc -shared -o .libs/libxml2.so.5.13  SAX.lo entities.lo encoding.lo
error.lo parserInternals.lo parser.lo tree.lo hash.lo list.lo xmlIO.lo
xmlmemory.lo uri.lo valid.lo xlink.lo HTMLparser.lo HTMLtree.lo
debugXML.lo xpath.lo xpointer.lo xinclude.lo nanohttp.lo nanoftp.lo
DOCBparser.lo catalog.lo
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_main
_gzclose
_gzdopen
_gzopen
_gzread
_gzwrite
make[2]: *** [libxml2.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

The gz undefined symbols obviously occur because the last compile does
not include -lz for whatever reason.  I'm not sure how to resolve the
_main symbol issue.  zlib _does_ exist, in fact, the configure script
finds it's header files and the library itself.  Oh, and gcc is a sym
link to Apple's flavor of gcc (cc).  Hmmm... Well, this isn't mission
critical, I just wanted to know if someone has gone through this before.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

-Joe M.

--
|   Joe McAlerney     joey silicondefense com   |
| Silicon Defense - Technical Support for Snort |