[xml] dtd's and saving with document

Hi all,

I'm trying to assign a extern and system id to a xml document and then saving
to file

-----cut --------- my code
    xmlDocPtr searchDataBase = xmlNewDoc((xmlChar *) "1.0");
    if (searchDataBase) {
      xmlNewDtd(searchDataBase,
                "search",
                "-//xsldbg//DTD xsldoc XML V1.0//EN",
                "xsldoc.dtd");
      searchDataBaseRoot = xmlNewNode(NULL, (xmlChar *) "search");

      xmlSaveFormatFile("search.data", searchDataBase, 1);
  }

------cut -----------

But the extern and system id are not written to file.  I have confirmed that
the document has a valid extSubset (using debugger). But that gnome-xml
doesn't seem to even look at extSubset when processing the document to write
to file
  ---cut --   from gnome-xml's  tree.c line 6097

    if (cur->children != NULL) {
        xmlNodePtr child = cur->children;

        while (child != NULL) {
            xmlNodeDumpOutput(buf, cur, child, 0, format, encoding);
            xmlOutputBufferWriteString(buf, "\n");
            child = child->next;
        }
    }

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure this is possible!

thanks,

Keith