Re: intltool-debian merge inside upstream

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:25:23AM +0200, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:

> As far as I know that is already in intltool. Did you [Denis] change
> anything to your code already in intltool cvs?

Here is a README file now shipped with intltool-debian:
  Intltool is a collection of scripts written by the GNOME project to
  help its localization.  It supports many file formats, and I submit
  patches for our rfc822 format files.  They are incorporated upstream,
  but this support is still not finalized.  As debconf l10n is now
  performed via intltool scripts, the intltool-debian package is
  intended to quickly fix bugs when found, without breaking the
  GNOME part.

What I want to tell in this file (feel free to rephrase it if you
believe there are misrepresentations) is that rfc822 support is
new in intltool and not very mature (my bad, of course).
This format is now used to manage essential pieces of Debian, like
debconf and the debian-installer (a rewrite of our installer, which
uses debconf). AFAICT it is only used by Debian, and it is easier
for me to have a separate package so that I can quickly fix my bugs
without breaking the GNOME stuff, and vice-versa.
This format is still a moving target (I added inclusion of comments
recently), thus I believe that merging intltool-debian into intltool
is too early.  But when this format becomes stalled, there would be
no more need for intltool-debian.

OTOH I was lately lazy^H^H^Hbusy and did not send all the applied
patches, I will fix this soon.
Thanks for the reminder ;)

Denis