Re: intltool build failure

on 10/25/01 11:16 AM, Jonathan Blandford at jrb redhat com wrote:

> I thought intltool HEAD was intended to build against GNOME 2, for some
> reason, and thusly assumed that libxml2 was required.  We can either
> conditionally compile doc-i18n-tool or require libxml2.  I vote for the
> second, as I'd like to see people start getting libxml2 working.
> Unfortunately, it seems like libxml2 as shipped with RH 7.2 won't
> actually build intltool.  Which do you want to do?

intltool, before you added doc-i18n-tool, had virtually no dependencies --
it required perl, but not even a particularly new version of perl, and no
unusual perl libraries. It built equally well "against" gnome 1 or gnome 2.

But I guess requiring the latest libxml2 might be OK, as long as the
configure fails rather than the compile -- at the moment the configure
succeeds, but the compile fails. I think I'd like a configure-time option to
omit doc-i18n-tool and these dependencies, though.

Maciej, Kenneth, what do you think?

If we do this without a configure-time option, I'll have to build libxml2 as
part of my gnome 1 development world (really just a separate prefix from my
gnome 2 development world), but libxml2 requires glib2 too, and I'd like to
have my gnome 1 world be glib2-free. While doing both gnome 1 and gnome 2 in
a single prefix is possible, I find a different set of bugs by using
separate prefixes and I'd like to continue to do that.

    -- Darin