Re: Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

On Mittwoch, 11. November 2015 15:36:48 CEST, Allison Ryan Lortie wrote:
hi Martin,

We were just talking about this on IRC today and I independently
proposed something very similar.  At that point, someone pointed me to
this thread.

I support this idea as being generally useful.  For some time, GTK has
been setting the _GTK_APPLICATION_ID property and gnome-shell has been
looking for a desktop file with this name.

I'd make two modifications to your proposal.

First, I'd rename the key to "XDG_APPLICATION_ID" to reflect that

In the NET_WM spec?
Would have to be _NET_WM_XDG_APPLICATION_ID

Second, I'd add a requirement that the application owns the D-Bus
session bus name specified in the property.

This rules out every application that doesn't utilize/link dbus... :-\

Also I frankly don't see the direct benefit here. I could see me being interested in the dbus service, but
that's not the same.

=> Mind explaining why it's useful to know org.kde.kwrite if the service is org.kde.kwrite-12345? (ie.
suffixed by the PID, yes, we *might* have the PID and the service *might* follow that pattern)

Otherwise the requirement would be that *if* the application has a dbus identifier, the desktop service and
thus the property MUST align to that and it also MUST set the _NET_WM_PID property and MUST follow the
$name-$pid pattern. Yesno?

As a minor nit, I guess I also think it's slightly odd that we use UTF-8
here for something that can only ever be ASCII

In case of at least an absolute path, there's really no restriction towards ASCII at all.

Cheers,
Thomas