Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

Hi X11 friends,

please find attached a patch to the WM spec to add a new window property.
Inspiration and idea is taken from Wayland's wl_shell_surface::set_class.

The description should hopefully explain it:

_NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE, UTF8_STRING

The client SHOULD set this property to the name of the desktop file as
described in http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ if it
is known to the
client. In case it is not known to the client, it SHOULD NOT set the property
at all.

In case the desktop file is not stored in a standard location, the client
should set _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE to the full path (e.g. "/opt/foo/
org.freedesktop.foo.desktop").

Otherwise the client should set _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE to the base name of the
desktop entry. This is the file name, without the full path and without
extension, of the desktop entry that represents this application according to
the freedesktop desktop entry specification (e.g. "org.freedesktop.foo").

----

I hope we can add this to the protocol. I think it should be easy for toolkits
to add support for this given that it's needed for Wayland anyway. With my Qt
hat on I know that everything is in place to add it to Qt 5.7. With my KDE hat
on I know that everything is in place to add it to frameworks 5.17 even
without support in Qt yet.

Opinions?

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin