Separate virtual desktops for different monitors

Most non-tiling window managers (if not all of them) combine all available monitors into single virtual screen space which gets switched as the whole thing when user changes virtual desktop, exactly as the specification says. But there exist at least two tiling managers, namely i3 and xmonad, which employ the different concept: they allow user to setup own set of virtual desktops for each of monitor. (Mac OS X has a similar feature too.)

Unfortunately, such a behavior is not a part of the specification, so both i3 and xmonad actually use a single virtual desktop and manage windows in some custom way, which, for example, makes unusable any third-party desktop switchers. But I'd line to see such a behavior in mainstream window managers too, so are the questions:

— Are there any chances this become a part of standard?
— If yes, what can I do for this to happen?

Sorry if this topic has been already discussed, I've searched through the mailing list archive, I swear :).
——— Pavel Kretov.

P.S.

This kind of setup may be very convenient in practice. There is my typical i3 usage pattern, just for example.

External monitor (1920x1080):
 — desktop 1: IDE                           (Meta+1)
 — desktop 2: terminal                      (Meta+2)
 — desktop 3: browser with stackoverflow    (Meta+3)
 — desktop 4: mail program                  (Meta+4)
 — desktop 5:                               (Meta+5)

Laptop monitor (1280x800)
 — desktop 6: browser with documentation    (Meta+6)
 — desktop 7: man pages                     (Meta+7)
 — desktop 8: music player                  (Meta+8)
 — desktop 9: messenger                     (Meta+9)
 — desktop 10:                              (Meta+0)

So the larger monitor is used for main work while the smaller one is left for some supplementary tasks. For example, I can switch from IDE to terminal without loosing access to documentation, or switch to messenger and ask a friend about the code while being able to see IDE. And everything is quickly accessible by using hotkeys.