Re: Re: Client messages _NET_WM_SHOW_WINDOW_MENU and _NET_WM_PERFORM_BUTTON_ACTION

On Tuesday 01 July 2014 18:04:10 you wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:40:04 +0200 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> said:
thanks for the feedback. Addressed both and new patches attached.

i think that's missing lots of data, and background.

looking at this, my guess is that this is for client-side decorations. but
then you are missing lots of data.

1. for wm window menu, not just x,y but also the rectangle withint he client
window that triggered the action should be supplied. this allows the menu
to be aligned right below the button that triggered it. nice and cleanly.
without this info the menu has no choice but to appear where the mouse is
which may be anywhere inside the button/widget that was clicked

I think this is already covered: "the Client should set it to useful values
the window manager can use to position the menu". This could be extended to
say that it should also be used for the case that a button was clicked. If the
client sets it to the proper position I don't think that we actually need the
complete rect. Do you think that would be sufficient?

2. button action gives no hint as to what the action might be. example - we
double-clikc the titlebar. in some wm's this shades/unshades the window. in
others it maximizes/unmaximizes. the info here provides no information that
would indicate to the wm that we double-clicked the titlebar as titlebar may
be along the left side of the window or along the bottom. no idea.

Right, I didn't think of double click. Hmm I'm wondering how we could indicate
a double click given that we already use all five data elements. The only idea
I have is using a bit mask to indicate that a double click was used. But I
don't like that ;-) Any better ideas?

Cheers
Martin