Re: New version of synchronization changes - windows not redirected

Am 05.04.2013 05:15, schrieb Karl Tomlinson:
Thank you, Owen and the others who contributed, for sorting this
out and writing it up in a way we can follow.

I'm pleased to see this even addresses the issue of synchronizing
drawing after map, which could have been handled by the basic
frame counter in _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER but wasn't. [1]

I have a question re fullscreen windows:

With extended synchronization, the application does not need to
double-buffer its drawing, and so can use a window with a
single-buffered visual.

Some window managers disable compositing for fullscreen windows.
Should an application assume that a window manager advertising
_NET_WM_FRAME_DRAWN will always composite the window?
No the spec does not mandate that and mutter does not do that.
Perhaps it
should use _NET_WM_DONT_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR?
Yes if you want to be composited just set that.
Note the spec got updated you have to set _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR to
2 to say "always composite me". See: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/tree/wm-spec/wm-spec.xml#n1581

Adel