Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 12:26:00AM -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> Two other unrelated n00b questions from me, to make sure I'm understanding the system correctly:
>
> - Should all the places we say "screen" in this spec really say "monitor"? I'm using a lot of overloaded X11 vocabulary interchangeably, and I probably shouldn't.

On a multi-head RANDR system, there is a single "Screen" stretched
across the multiple displays or monitors.

> - Is there always one root window per monitor? I have text for setting a root window property, and it's more useful if it can note the current fullscreen window for that monitor (to cover Martin's concerns). If there's only one root window that covers all monitors, I need to change this to be an array. My understanding is that Xinerama stretches the root window across multiple monitors, but my reading of XRandR is that this isn't true there. You can see the text in question, in both forms, here:
>
>      http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/wm-fullscreen-spec/rev/50b9d9a09539
>
> ... the _NET_RESOLUTIONS property as it currently stands is only useful if the app can effectively enumerate multiple root windows, too, or if the app doesn't care what monitor it lands on.

RANDR uses one screen for multiple monitors, and one root window for
that screen.  Thus one root window for all monitors.

Xinerama uses multiple screens which are stitched together.

I don't know about use cases where there are multiple root windows in an
X session, but that would be an uncommon layout at best.

Bryce