Re: Re: Re: Pager and Desktop Layout

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> wrote:
> Yeah I understand. In that case I think it would be best to not have a desktop shell in the guest
> system, but to have the guest windows really connecting to the host X Server. And I think it
> should not matter so much for the desktop shell in the guest system how the desktop layout
> looks like in the outer world.

Unfortunately it's a lot more complicated than that. :)

For example, a host running Windows or Mac OS X may not have an X
server. Legacy desktop shell in the guest manages windows, mapping and
unmapping depending on the current virtual desktop, so the guest
layout must be in sync with the host. I could go on _forever_.

> But for that use case the KWin internal changes should not matter. It will be as "broken" as
> before.

You're specifically talking about needing the _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT_Sn
selection, right? As opposed to just responding to updates to the
_NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT property?

TIA
  - Ryan