Re: Proposal: client property for de-maximize geometry

Hi Joseph,

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 02:38:21 Joseph Krahn wrote:
> Currently, it is the window-managers job to remember the original
> geometry to restore upon de-maximization or de-shading. It seems very
> practical to have this remembered geometry available as a window
> property, for example _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY. It is not really
> essential, but it seems practical.
why would a client need that information? I cannot think of any usecase where
a client (or toolkit) needs this information. Could you please provide a
usecase for this property? To me this looks like a property which should only
be relevant to the window manager.

And it raises some questions for me:
* Who sets the property? I assume the window manager, but what if the client
sets it?
* Should the WM restore to a geometry set by the client?
* Should a WM restore a currently maximized client if the client changes it?
* How should this be handled when the client is not maximized/shaded? Should
the client be moved to that geometry? Should it be ignored?
* Would the WM have to update the property whenever the window is moved or
resized?

From a KWin point of view it would not be a trivial change to set this
property and keep it in sync. The "normal" geometry is used for more than just
maximization/shading and keeping the property in sync (especially if the
client might change it) seems like a non-reasonable change for hardly any
usage for a client.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin
KWin Maintainer