Re: Is there an official way for an application window to request to not show up in a Window Manager's alt-tab list?

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, vr movingparts net <vr movingparts net> wrote:
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply.

The application in question has a main UI window and secondary windows. In certain cases, all windows will be full screened such that each window will be on a separate host monitor. Ideally, when this happens, only the main UI window would show up in the Window Manager's alt-tab list.

I was thinking that maybe _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY would be appropriate here, but in earlier testing, it looked like at least Metacity ignored the position that I placed the secondary window at and insisted on fullscreening it on top of the main UI app fullscreen window, which won't work. I'm assuming from that testing that _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY is probably not intended for the kind of thing I need to do.

Utility also sounds right to me, if its a secondary window which is attached to the main window and does not take focus in the standard way (alt-tab etc).  This sounds like an arbitrary restriction of Metacity.  Do most window managers let this use case work properly?  Can you a) ask the Metacity team to fix it, citing the majority of window managers as a community standard, or if that doesn't work b) tell your users to not use Metacity for this feature?

I'm not sure how a new window type would differ from Utility for this.

- Dana