Re: What is the purpose of _NET_WM_USER_TIME?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Joseph Krahn <joseph krahn gmail com> wrote:
>> There's no way for the WM to "snoop" events intended for another
>> client; it can grab keys and buttons, but that has other side effects.
> You can watch any event for any window, excluding KeyPress events.
> But, you can still watch KeyRelease events. Just use the 'xev' utility
> with the -id option pointing to any window. If a client does grab
> keys, you won't see them (for example xterm running in secure-keyboard
> mode), but it is good to check for grabbed input before mapping a
> window that will need that input to proceed.
I just did some testing with the X.org server. You cannot monitor
button press or release events for client windows, event though the
Xlib documentation only disallows button press events. So, the WM
would not be able to monitor client pointer events, at least for the
current X.org server, without utilizing an extension to access events.

Joe Krahn