Re: Focus stealing

On Tuesday 08 of December 2009, Michael T wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I wanted to post about a subject that annoys many people, but has somehow
> apparently never been adequately solved.  More specifically, I have a
> simple suggestion as to how this problem could be solved once and for all,
> and I would like feedback on it (read I am ready to be flamed for my
> ignorance in thinking it will do any good :) ).
>
> Basically, my idea is that focus stealing is almost never the right thing
> to do, but that in the few situations where it is, the window having its
> focus stolen *will know that that this should be happening*.  So, that
> window could create a property advertising the fact that it is ready to
> have its focus stolen, optionally including information about the window
> that will steal the focus to prevent the wrong one from doing it.

 This already exists. Depending on the exact situation, the "old" window can
tell the "new" window to specify it as the parent or use its user activity
timestamp. If you have a specific problem, you probably need to report a bug
for the application or the window manager.

> This
> property could even be set and deleted automatically by new application
> start-up APIs in Gnome and KDE.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz