Re: Client-side decorations, RGBA opaque regions

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 07:21 +0100, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> > The other hint that would be useful is a hint similar to
> > _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS that specifies client-side drop shadow extents.
> The
> > main idea here being that the WM could take advantage of this to
> know
> > where to perform window snapping for windows whose decorations and
> > drop-shadows are drawn client-side.  This might be called
> > _NET_SHADOW_EXTENTS.
>
> I think this is a good idea, but maybe it should have a more generic
> name, since the client may draw something other than a shadow
> around the window.
>
> Also, while the spec doesn't say, I think the convention is that
> properties
> set by the client start with _NET_WM, while properties set by the
> window
> manager start with _NET.

Perhaps instead of using a shadow/whatever extents region, we mark the
'content' region instead.  So, _NET_WM_CONTENT_AREA would describe
everything inside the drop-shadow/glow/padding and would be used by the
WM to determine window snapping regions and such.