Re: Review: FULLSCREEN_MONITORS Hint

Hey.

Thanks for the suggestion. We did consider this, but this becomes very difficult if your goal is to render the output of some component (a video player, for instance) across all the windows, and if you want to span a toolbar or something across the windows, you're out of luck. We really would need a single window in order for this feature to be useful.

Christian

On Jan 20, 2008 10:34 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs pobox com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 12:32:14PM -0800, Grant Patterson wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd like to restart this discussion. We at VMware had some discussions and have
> several ideas for how to specify what the window should cover. Pros and cons are
> my own; you may have more.
[...]

I don't have much useful to say to resolve among these options, but
I have another idea that seems worth at least throwing out there --
maybe it will lead to a cleaner solution:

6. Instead of creating one giant window and attempting to spread it
across multiple screens at once, create one window for each (virtual
or real) monitor, and fullscreen each window individually.

This has the advantage that it's probably the only version that's even
vaguely sane to support in *my* window manager, which treats each
monitor as a separate world :-).  I doubt that will weigh heavily on
everyone else, though.

It might make other things easier too, though.  For instance, the
giant window approach makes it difficult to support different-sized
heads, since you end up wanting a non-rectangular window or doing
awful things to leave parts of your window blank; this approach
supports it naturally.  You can have a three monitor setup where the
middle monitor is a Linux desktop, and the two side monitors are the
two halves of a virtual Windows desktop.

-- Nathaniel

--
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.