Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
On 2007-10-19, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas mailhot laposte net> wrote:
Data exchange on the internet is more than HTML and besides at least
20% of the HTML pages I see everyday have broken encoding
specification (The W3C spec states plainly encoding must not be
assumed to be ISO-8859-1, change your browser fallback encoding to
anything else and watch the breakage)

Email etc. also specify the encoding. It's been a while since I've
seen an email with broken encoding spec., since the newer MUAs tend
to do that instead of the user trying to figure it out. Likewise,
editors should tag files by the encoding they store them in, instead
of the user trying to provide that information.

One advantage of unicode encoding is that every character has the
same meaning independant of any tag things. That makes it easy to
cut and paste multilingual text between applications without any
out-of-band communication of encoding tags. This statelessness
is the most worthwhile advantage IMO. UTF-8 could be considered
a common inter-app encoding protocol, and apps can use whatever
encoding they want internally.

snip