Desktop-wide input language info

Greetings,

I'm writing to this list at the request of Jim Gettys, currently at
OLPC. *nix desktops currently have a big problem propagating language
state info. This impacts both spellchecking and even correct text rendering.

The problem, and the solution Jim proposed, are detailed there:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/Dev/LanguageAwarenessProblem

(I couldn't post a plain-text version of this page to the list,
something is eating the message on the way.)

Please implement Jim's solution, or any better one you can think of.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot