Re: Application-controlled window dragging

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:22:49 -0700 Nathaniel Smith <njs pobox com> babbled:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 04:13:41PM -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:
> >    The piece of code I'm working on now is an experiment at the moment, but
> >    it will be part of a full-blown feature we're working on, one which I'm
> >    sure will be very popular. I can't talk about the feature in detail
> >    (unless either of you want to sign an NDA, which I can probably arrange),
> >    as it hasn't been announced yet, but not having this support will have a
> >    serious impact on this feature's usability.
>
> I appreciate these issues, but I also hope you realize there are some
> fundamental difficulties with convincing a free standards group to
> mandate some behavior in N different window manager projects, just on
> your word that it will allow one proprietary app to have a totally
> cool feature that is best implemented and set in stone in this way
> that I came up with and no-one has reviewed, trust me.
>
> I mean, these might be all true... but I'm not sure how, as
> hopefully-responsible engineers, we can just accept them without
> checking for ourselves, or convince projects that they should bother
> implementing/maintaining this feature with no more to go on than your
> word.  Do you have any ideas?

agreed. i am skeptical of the original need for this - why is it needed? is
there a better way? is there just some fundamental mistake/mis-understanding
behind all of this? can we get some of the why's without an nda being violated?

> If the problem is just that it needs to remain a secret for a while
> longer, you may have more luck adding support for a custom (not
> _NET_WM_*) extension to a few important window managers, convincing
> their maintainers to take the patch, and then worry about pushing it
> up into EWMH once the feature is out and there is some real-world
> experience with it.
>
> (Also, umm... is "lack of wobbly windows" really a "serious impact"?
> Though I guess you can't really explain why things would affect
> usability, either.)

consistency is the problem there. xmms and friends create no end of issues form
users and when they move them and they don't quite behave like other windows
(don't resist, display a co-ords overlay, etc. etc.)