Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On po 26. listopadu 2007, Mark Tiefenbruck wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 8:53 AM, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 of November 2007, Giles Atkinson wrote:
> > > It seems to me that these would be better defined as one of the
> > > multiple documented values of _NET_WM_STATE rather than the single
> > > value of _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE. Looking at the existing defintions, TYPE
> > > specifies the UI semantics of a window, while STATE defines various,
> > > possibly temporary, properties it may have.  These requests for special
> > > treatments by the compositing manager looks far more like STATEs than
> > > TYPEs to me.
> >
> >  I agree with the semantics vs properties part, but I think the problem
> > is just the naming. I don't see how either of these two "states" could be
> > temporary - they are both for special type windows and only for them.
>
> In the case of a window doing its own fade-in or fade-out effect, it
> would be temporary,

 If the app would have support for the flag turning it off in the compositing
manager, it could as well have a code to detect compositing manager running
and leave it up to it in such case.

> and the window could be treated normally the rest
> of the time. Thus, I agree that it's more of a state than a type. I
> still don't have a good name for it, though.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz