Re: RFC: FULLSCREEN_MONITORS property

Let's put it this way - for vmware, where do you want dialogs to open (I
know you can force-override from the app, but assuming you don't do that
and let the WM place them, over what area should they be centered)

I'd say "on a monitor covered by the main window."  If possible, the one which
the mouse is on.

Oh, maximization I guess, in addition to fullscreen - should that follow
this hint?

Maybe there's a use case for maximizing over multiple monitors.  I personally
don't know of any.

Generally speaking the name FULLSCREEN_MONITORS just seems very not
semantic to me. That is, if I have a question about how the WM should
interpret it, I don't really know what the answer is, since I'm not sure
what this hint means about the app at a high level.

Here's another question - what happens if the user moves the app to
another monitor that isn't a FULLSCREEN_MONITOR (and the app is
fullscreen?) - metacity might allow that unless we also implement some
kind of "fullscreen lock" behavior. Well, we allow it for maximized
windows anyway, don't remember for fullscreen.

I can't alt+drag a fullscreened window with metacity right now.  I
don't think there's
any specification that says that window managers aren't allowed to do
that, though.

Or if the app is not fullscreen and not on a FULLSCREEN_MONITOR and it
gets fullscreened, it would warp to the FULLSCREEN_MONITOR? That seems a
little weird. Would the app generally have to keep updating the
FULLSCREEN_MONITOR to the monitor it's currently on?

It would warp, at least with the implementation I wrote against
metacity.  I don't think it's
unreasonable to expect that an application which uses this hint will
update it before
setting _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN.

Now I'm wanting to say the hint should be a client message + hint combo
like _NET_WM_STATE, i.e.
  - property sets the initial map value
  - WM updates the property after map
  - after map, app can change it via client message

Sounds fine.

-David