Re: proposed addition to EWMH: _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:05:19 -0700 "Mark Tiefenbruck" <mark fluxbox org>
babbled:

> > i disagree with the ordering - -geometry is the way it is because of parsing
> > ans spacing - this is a command-lin e argument. different from PROPERITES.
> > all other netwm PROPERTIES are X,Y,WIDTH,HEIGHT - which is actually the
> > most common order you see such geometry in API calls for creating and
> > moving/resizing windows, drawing boxes etc. etc. i see no good reason to
> > re-order the arguments in a property based on the ordering in just 1
> > command-line argument.
>
> Fair enough. It was a rather arbitrary decision, anyway. I figured
> there might be circumstances where size would be provided but not
> coordinates. On the other hand, maybe just the opposite will occur
> with future _NET_WM_STATE properties. I don't think there's a natural
> way to allow for these with just one window property, anyway.
>
> Any other problems?

not really - we already do this for e17 - but we have our own specific
properties we use to allow the wm to pass on state between restarts - haven't
made any attempt to pass it onto other wm's or make it stable/well defined
though.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)