Re: Application for finding all Windows

Udayan Singh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to develop an application where I can get a list of all the
> windows that are open in the GNOME Screen and find any activity being
> performed on any other window on the GUI screen (and not only my
> application) e.g. mouse click on window of another application sends
> me a signal.
>
> Plan to use GNOME as environment. Can I use Metacity (for GNOME) here
> to capture a mouse click occuring on any other application (i.e. any
> other application and not made /implemented by me) ?
>
> Any pointers of how I can go about doing the same ??

Have a look at AT-SPI; it may be overkill, but it allows you to see
pretty much everything that's going on in the desktop.

http://gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-idl/html

There are python bindings for AT-SPI available too, for instance see
gnome svn modules 'orca' for an example of a sophisticated at-spi client.

You can also look in svn module at-spi/test or svn module at-poke to
find smaller, c-based clients.

The "root object" in the AT-SPI hierarchy has a single child
representing the 'desktop', and each of its children in an object of
AT-SPI type "Application".  The children of the Application objects are
Accessible objects corresponding to the toplevel windows on the
desktop.  AT-SPI also provides some device snooping API so that you can
detect mouse and keyboard activity.

us: thanks for inputs bill. I also figured that I can use the following for API references in case i wanna code in C.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/atk/atk.html

and this one for some inputs on theory..

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/guide/gad/index.html

any other links that might be useful, pls let me know.

tia,

us

regards,

Bill