Re: new hint for EWMH

On Monday 13 of August 2007, Tapani Pälli wrote:
> ext Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Friday 03 of August 2007, Tapani Pälli wrote:
> >> New Window type is fine for WM but a list of rectangles is much better
> >> toolkit-wise. Without this hint toolkit would need to go through whole
> >> window tree and pick input-method windows and then make collision
> >> detection logic. This is much heavier that having coordinates from the
> >> start.
> >
> >  I see, I guess that makes sense. However that's only some kind of
> > optimization, I think a window type is still needed to find out which
> > windows create the regions. That's from somebody who has no clue about
> > input methods though - from your suggested description I wouldn't have
> > any idea how to actually implement the support.
>
> Yep this is 'minor' optimization and makes toolkit code more clean, it's
> a bit 'ugly' to have these 'go through all windows' loops there. WM
> naturally knows the IM windows (hint needed for this aswell ... Maemo
> uses '_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_INPUT' for this)

 Please don't use such name for private properties, use a private prefix.

> and updates hint whenever
> such windows is (un)mapped, so implementation is quite trivial.

 Could you please post a complete text you'd like to see included in the spec?

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz