Re: X server latency

Hi,

On 4/17/07, Rachid KHAZAZ <rachiddelta yahoo fr> wrote:
I have two questions :

You have stumbled across the wrong list.  ;-)  This list is about
standards for communication between window managers, specialized pager
apps, and applications.  It isn't for questions on how X work and
writing Xlib applications.  Since the list is relatively low volume I
will include a quick explanation to your two questions, but please
take any further questions about how X work elsewhere.

Cheers,
Elijah

1) I have written a program (see the attached file) that displays the x
coordinates of the pointer when the MotionNotify event is catched.
When moving the mouse very slowly, the coodinates shown like
150,149,148......
But when I move the mouse very quicly, the coordinates like 150, 125, 80....
How do you explain the difference between the two sets of results.

The granularity of motion events is not guaranteed, but a client
selecting for motion events is guaranteed to get at least one event
when the pointer moves and comes to rest.

2) I have written an X client which moves the pointer by XWrapPointer()
function, when executing this program and the program of 1), the last one
doesnot detect the pointer motion caused by the XWrapPointer(). Do you have
an idea about that? and how can i produce the detection of a "simulated"
mouse motion.

I would guess that your XWarpPointer() call is moving the mouse into a
new window entirely.  MotionNotify events are only generated when the
motion begins and ends in the window.  If pointer motion causes the
pointer to be in a different window than before, EnterNotify and
LeaveNotify events are generated instead of a MotionNotify event.