Re: Do-not-disturb protocol

On Thursday 19 January 2006 11:52, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2006-01-19, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> >  Actually ... see
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/startup-notification-spec/startup-notifi
> >cation-0.1.txt . The feature is called focus stealing prevention in KDE,
> > GNOME has an implementation of it too since some time ago.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of something passed in the environment,
> so it would work for programs started from a terminal or just simple
> scripts and so on, even remotely.

 There is, $DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID, see the spec. These being set from a terminal
would require the shell having support for the spec though.

> Also a crucial element is a way to pass
> something to the window manager that identifies the launcher window.
> WM_LAUNCHED_BY or something.

 _NET_STARTUP_ID, again, see the spec for details.

On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:13, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> Ion needs to know which windows were launched from which for "smart" window
> placement. If a program in frame A launches a program, and while it is
> starting up, I switch to frame B, I would still usually want the window to
> go in frame A instead of the active frame B when it is finally mapped.
> In a more conventional WM one would probably usually want the new window
> on the same workspace as the launcher.

 That could be added to the spec if it makes sense. Which I think it does. I'm
not exactly sure how to do that identification though.

> The startup notification spec in
> the usual very-specific-hints-for-the-so-called-modern-desktop fdo vein
> only includes the DESKTOP hint for this.

 BTW, you could also use your own very-specific-hints-for-the-ion-desktop.
Well, if you could stick somewhere the setting of it. But with knowing
LAUNCHED_FROM you probably wouldn't need it, just like DESKTOP wouldn't be
that useful then.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/