Re: Interaction between applications and compositing managers

On Monday 03 April 2006 23:23, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> Soeren Sandmann a écrit :
> > Hello
> >
> > To integrate a compositing manager well with the rest of the desktop,
> > new hints and protocols between applications and compositing managers
> > are needed. This message is intended to start that discussion.

> (2) I think that using a new property "_NET_WM_UNMANAGED_TYPE" (and then
> NET_WM_UNMANAGED_TYPE_DND_WINDOW ...etc) will help to avoid confusion.

 I think I disagree here. I don't see any compelling reason to have a separate
type for override-redirect windows and IMHO it will avoid about as much
confusion as it will create:

- there are already ways how to find if a window is normal managed window or
not, so why separate two things that are exactly the same except for this
detail?

- who can guarantee that eventually some of the types wouldn't be better as
managed windows (NOTIFICATION may seem like a possible candidate)? Especially
then things would get confusing.

 I suggest extending the normal _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE list and explicitly
mentioning that both managed and override-redirect windows may have it set,
with these being for managed and these for override-redirect ones (and say
that WMs should cope with the override-redirect ones set on normal windows,
just like they cope with unknown types).

 I don't actually do any graphics-related stuff, but the rest seems fine to
me.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/