Re: _NET_WM_[GET_|TAKE_|REQUEST_]FOCUS & urgency

On Wednesday 25 of May 2005 23:23, Luke Schierer wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:11:11PM -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> > Urgency is a separate matter, and there's really nothing preventing it
> > being implemented other than a sane idea of what it should do.
>
> We really do not see it as separate.  We see your demands attention
> stuff as a reinvention of it, with the exception that demands
> attention can be set by the window manager, and urgency should not.
> Please explain how you see them as different.

 I originally was considering simply using the urgency flag instead inventing
a new one, but eventually decided not to, because of problems like this one,
that WMs should not set the urgency hint. KWin actually maps the urgency hint
to the DEMANDS_ATTENTION state, just the way their state is changed is
different.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/