Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On 2005-06-28, Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM> wrote:
> I think my reasons were quite sound; applications can and will (despite
> what you may think they should do) pop up windows that they don't want
> decorated.

It's not up for the apps to decide that if they want the window to be
managed. Some window managers might have special policies for such
windows if they had a semantic hint of the window's use, but completely
mismanage the window if the app thinks it knows better.

> For accessibility reasons it is vital that such windows not
> be override-redirect.

For accessibility reasons the WM should have an idea how the window really
should be managed under that particular WM.

There's a reason why it's called a window _manager_, although most WMs
hardly manage windows, but just provide ways for the user to manage them.

--
Tuomo