Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Tuesday 28 of June 2005 14:05, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >On Monday 27 of June 2005 11:31, Bradley T Hughes wrote:
> >>Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Nobody has still said any good reason why we'd need a noborder hint. WINE
> > - ok, that's legacy. XMMS - that's legacy. Using the MWM legacy for this
> > legacy is fine.
>
> I think my reasons were quite sound; applications can and will (despite
> what you may think they should do) pop up windows that they don't want
> decorated.  For accessibility reasons it is vital that such windows not
> be override-redirect.

 Are you talking about things such as popup menus? If yes, I'm not sure it
would be a good idea to involve the WM in it. These windows are fully under
the control of the app, including grabbing the input, and the WM could
interfere in nasty ways. IMHO it'd be probably simpler to find a way that
doesn't involve the WM, or you should first try a proof of concept
implementation.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/