Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 16:52 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> Hints for reposition snapping and grouping would definitely be a good idea.
> XMMS currently does really stupid things when both it and the WM attempt to
> snap position on move.  For snap, I'm thinking something like a protocol
> advertisement and distance hints on the root window, and then a per-window
> hint for SELF_SNAPPED; either that or if there were a WM_WILL_SNAP property
> on the root window XMMS would disable snapping itself.
>
> For grouping, the app picks a group master window and all the slaves do
> GROUP_RELATIVE and then the XID of the master.  Actually that just covers
> reposition, you'd also want gravity hints in that list for resize.  Windows
> with a GROUP_RELATIVE hint set would, when the master moves or resizes, get
> positioned by the WM instead of the app.  Hrm, and for resize you'd want a
> hint for either proportional or constant-offsets (OSX drawers would be the
> latter, I think).
>
> All of which is so much guesswork, but maybe it's a good idea.

I also had an idle thought about being able to "glue" window edges
together, like "attach west edge of this to east edge of that"

But I haven't thought it through too much.

Some of the use-cases are "drawers" and the xmms stick-stuff-together
behavior.

> Undecorated windows
>
> While the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE properties are intended to be a functional
> replacement for the Motif window hints, they may not cover all possible
> window functions.  Window managers SHOULD implement the Motif
> MWM_DECOR_BORDER hint; they MAY implement the other Motif MWM_DECOR and
> MWM_FUNC hints.  Applications are strongly discouraged from using the Motif
> hints, and SHOULD use the appropriate _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE hint whenever
> possible.
>
> The Motif hints are documented [insert link here].
> ---
>
> Plus maybe some language about if the type you want doesn't exist talk to the
> spec list about how to get it implemented.

This sounds pretty good, but I don't know of a link that documents the
mwm hints so we might have to just do it ourselves.

Everyone pieces together the info from looking at other WMs or stuff
like this I think:
http://www.motifdeveloper.com/tips/tip7.html

They are really confusing, metacity source comment:
      /* If _ALL is specified, then other flags indicate what to turn
off;
       * if ALL is not specified, flags are what to turn on.
       * at least, I think so
       */

Billy, btw looking at this I see metacity supports MWM_DECOR_BORDER
which may be the resizable-but-no-titlebar thing you wanted.