Re: TAKE_ACTIVITY patch

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:52:39 +0200, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 of October 2004 20:41, Elijah Newren wrote:

> > there is a case in Gnome where avoiding focus is useful and raising is
> > irrelevant:  We would like to avoid giving the panel ("taskbar") focus
> > when the user clicks on it in most circumstances, but we have to in
> > order for certain applets (command line and dictionary ones for
> > example) to work.  It would be great to be able to use this spec to
> > have the panel only send take-activity responses in the cases where
> > focus is necessary.
>
>  Isn't this more for the WM_TAKE_FOCUS protocol from ICCCM (globally active
> input)? This proposal actually was based on WM_TAKE_FOCUS (and WM_TAKE_FOCUS
> was found insufficient for the don't-raise-on-DND problem).

Oh, for some reason I thought WM_TAKE_FOCUS would be for not allowing
an app to take focus at all.  Maybe I should actually read a spec (you
know, one of those things that are meant to be hard to understand),
rather than making wild assumptions.  :-}

>  KWin and Kicker actually solve the problem differently. KWin doesn't allow
> focusing _NET_WM_DOCK windows, unless they request so using
> _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message. So if the command-line applet needs focus, it
> simply asks the WM to activate the panel, otherwise the currently active
> window is not changed when one clicks on the panel. I'm right now not quite
> sure how clean solution this is, but it's been there since ages, and Kicker
> is much nicer to use than other panels.

Ooh, I like that idea.  I'm going to go file some bugs and patches.  :-)

Thanks,
Elijah